The Right Candidate for Clerk of Circuit Court
Laura Roth is the Chief Deputy Clerk and Legal Counsel for the current Volusia County Clerk of the Circuit Court, Diane Matousek. Laura earned her B.A. from Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida in 1998, and then her law degree from the University of Arizona, graduating magna cum laude. Returning to Florida in 2003, Laura moved to DeLand where her father resides. Shortly after settling in Volusia, Laura met her soon to be husband, Doug Roth, and her two step kids, Maggie and Kyle at a local church.
Laura was hired as the Clerk’s office first in-house legal counsel in 2004. She helped the office navigate the transition to a State court model, advocated the Clerk’s position concerning statewide public records access issues at a myriad of forums including the Florida Supreme Court, and advised the Clerk and Directors on a breadth of challenges that evolved with the changing times.
Fulfilling a personal promise she made during law school to represent abused and neglected children one day, in 2006 Laura joined the Guardian Ad Litem program in DeLand as a staff attorney. After advocating for children for two years, Laura returned to the Clerk’s office in 2008.
In 2011, Diane named Laura her first ever Chief Deputy Clerk. Since that time, Laura has served as the Clerk’s lead administrator in addition to her role as legal advisor. As Chief Deputy, she has spearheaded organizational improvements and worked to empower employees to affect innovation and take on additional roles of influence. Laura is especially honored to have played an active role for over ten years in the development of history-making advances in court processes and public records access.
Professional Life and Honors:
• Volusia County Law Library Board of Directors, Member
• E-Filing Authority Board Rules Subcommittee, Member
• Florida Probate Rules Committee, Clerk Liaison
• Florida Rules of Judicial Administration Subcommittee, Clerk Liaison
• Volusia County Bar Association, Member
• Florida Bar Association, Member
• Rotary Club of DeLand, Member and Honorary Paul Harris Fellow
• Bowling for Literacy Event, Rotary Club of DeLand, Chair 2015
• Republican Club of West Volusia, Vice President
• Republican Executive Committee, Member
• DeLand Area Chamber of Commerce, Member
• Guardian ad Litem Volunteer, 2005-2010
• Public Interest Law Organization, University of Arizona, President, 2001-2002
• Graduate University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law, Magna Cum Laude, 2003
• Order of the Coif, University of Arizona Chapter,2003
• Graduate Eckerd College, Florida, Highest Honors, 1998